Monday, September 12, 2016

Chrome Extension: Virtual Sticky Notes!! Leave Post-It Notes on any page

I recently found an old college textbook of mine as I was clearing out my classroom. And I found out that I used to love sticky notes. I would have handwritten notes painstakingly detailing the information I was consuming in a clean(-ish) fashion in the event that I wanted to sell the book back for cash in order to buy...more books. 

Not actual aforementioned textbook, but you get the idea, ya know?

This method of breaking down text into words I could understand helped me learn difficult material and is a time-honored and research-backed method of learning. It is also an essential skill in need of developing in a Common Core, 21st Century learning environment.

Close Reading, research projects, tried and true reading strategies, "talking to the text"... these all require the ability to write in the margins of documents. But how to do it in a 1:1 environment? Oh let me count the ways...or at least two of them.

Two services (both free!!) are Note Anywhere and Stickies. Here's the gist of both: you can activate it on any site and any sticky note you leave on the site stays there until you remove it. Because its a Chrome Extension, it is housed in your browser and with the click of a button, a sticky note appears on the site.

So I've used Note Anywhere in the past with my students. I've used it to jot notes for myself on student work that was turned in virtually and I've taught students how to use it effectively when I have them read internet content. Check out my little screenshot vid of me using the service here (don't judge...I never screencast...gotta work on that).

There are other sticky note products Here Here Here and Here ... its really just which one works best for you and your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment